Taxpayers can stay in the know on all things tax-related by following the IRS verified social media accounts and subscribing to the agency’s e-news services. Here are some details about these valuable information resources.
IRS social media platforms
• Twitter: Taxpayers, businesses and tax professionals can follow the IRS handles for up to the minute announcements, tips and alerts in English and Spanish.
• Facebook: News and information for everybody. Also available in Spanish.
• Instagram: The IRS Instagram account shares taxpayer-friendly information.
• YouTube: The IRS offers three video channels — English, Multilingual and American Sign Language.
• LinkedIn: The IRS shares key agency communications and job opportunities.
The agency continues to increase multilingual outreach on social media. For example, IRS has created individual Twitter Moments in six languages, highlighting key messages in Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Korean, Haitian Creole and Simplified Chinese.
The IRS also has a free mobile app, IRS2Go, where taxpayers can check their refund status, pay taxes, find free tax help, watch IRS YouTube videos, and get daily tax tips. The IRS2Go app is available from the Google Play Store for Android devices, or from the Apple App Store for Apple devices. It is available in both English and Spanish.
Taxpayers should not reply to an IRS direct message on social media asking for personal or financial information. These are common scams that try to lure taxpayers on social media platforms or with unsolicited emails, texts, or calls.
Get automatic updates by email
The IRS e-News subscription service issues tax information by email for many different audiences. It provides tips, tools, and helpful materials of interest to taxpayers and organizations. The IRS offers subscription services tailored to tax exempt and government entities, small and large businesses as well as individuals. The service is easy to use. Anyone can sign up by visiting IRS e-News Subscriptions.
IRS e-news options include:
• IRS Outreach Connection − This subscription offering delivers up-to-date materials for tax professionals and partner groups inside and outside the tax community. The material for Outreach Connection is specifically designed so subscribers can share the material with their clients or members through email, social media, internal newsletters, e-mails or external websites.
• IRS Tax Tips – These brief, concise tips in plain language cover a wide-range of topics of general interest to taxpayers. They include the latest on tax scams, tax reform, tax deductions, filing extensions and amending returns. IRS Tax Tips generally come out each weekday.
• IRS Newswire − Subscribers to IRS Newswire receive news releases the day they are issued. These cover a wide range of tax administration issues ranging from breaking news to details related to legal guidance.
• IRS News in Spanish – Noticias del IRS en Español − Readers get IRS news releases, tax tips and updates in Spanish as they are released. Subscribe at Noticias del IRS en Español.
• e-News for Tax Professionals − Includes a weekly roundup of news releases and legal guidance specifically designed for the tax professional community. Subscribing to e-News for Tax Professionals gets tax pros a weekly summary, typically delivered on Friday afternoons.