Electric vehicles (EVs) are said to be the future of transportation. However, the high cost of EVs has been a deterrent for many potential buyers. To encourage the adoption of electric vehicles, the US government provides EV tax credits to eligible buyers.
EV tax credits are incentives that reduce the cost of purchasing an electric vehicle. The credit amount varies depending on the battery capacity of the EV and the manufacturer. In this article, we will discuss the benefits, eligibility, and process to claim EV tax credits.
Benefits of EV Tax Credits
- Cost Savings: The most significant benefit of EV tax credits is the cost savings. The federal government offers a tax credit of up to $7,500 for eligible EV buyers. This tax credit reduces the amount of income tax owed to the government, resulting in a lower purchase price for the vehicle.
- Lower Operating Costs: EVs have lower operating costs than gas-powered vehicles. The cost of electricity is significantly lower than the cost of gasoline, resulting in substantial savings over time.
Eligibility for EV Tax Credits
- Vehicle Qualification: To be eligible for EV tax credits, the vehicle must be a new, qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle. The vehicle must be purchased for use or lease and not for resale.
- MSRP: The vehicles’ manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) can’t exceed $80,000 for vans, sports utility vehicles, and pickup trucks and $55,000 for other vehicles.
How to Claim EV Tax Credits:
- Determine Eligibility: Before claiming EV tax credits, ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Fill out IRS Form 8936: To claim the EV tax credit, you must fill out IRS Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. The form requires information about the vehicle, including the make, model, and date of purchase.
- File Your Taxes: After completing IRS Form 8936, you must file your taxes with the form. The tax credit will reduce the amount of income tax owed, resulting in a lower purchase price for the vehicle.
Thinking about purchasing an EV and have questions? We’re happy to help you navigate the decision and understand the tax credit you may be eligible for.
Most people don’t just want to do business. They want to build something. We help entrepreneurs make the transition from the hamster wheel to building a business with our business advisory services. Our clients achieve greatness they didn’t know how to tap into on their own.